About the Department
Of the main and strong pillars standing firmly on which Seth Anandram Jaipuria College today takes pride in celebrating its glorious years, the Department of Physics is undoubtedly one. Though the college was established in 1945,Departments of Science for teaching Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology at the Intermediate level was introduced in 1951. Renowned Prof. Brojendra Kumar Sur was the first Head of this Department and Prof. D.H. Guha, Prof. S.R. Ganguly, Prof. D.P. Basuwere the faculty members of the department then.
In 1961, with a radical change in the education system in West Bengal, one-year PreUniversity Course and three-year Degree course (Pass and Honours) were introduced with expanded Laboratories and a number or teaching and non-leaching staff were newly appointed. Around 1965, all-out efforts were made to open Honours Courses in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
In order to build up the infra-structure for teaching Honours Course in Physics, renowned teachers, namely Dr. Alok Chakraborty, Prof. Nepal Chakraborty, Prof. D.P. Acharya, Prof. Hara Prasad De,Dr. Saroj Bandhu Sanyal, who were most respectfully received by the students from early thirties to late sixties for their excellence and reputation as teachers and overall scholarship, were appointed in the department and this period marked the golden age of the department. The performance of the students in the University Examinations was very satisfactory from the very beginning.
In the meantime, there was again a change in the system of education in West Bengal and in compliance, Seth Anandram Jaipuria College also started Higher Secondary (+ 2) course and 2-Ycar Degree (Pass) and 3-Ycar Degree (Honours) courses of studies. By this time,Dr. Alok Chakraborty obtained his D.Sc. degree from Calcutta University and earned a wide-spread reputation both as an author of a number of text-books written for Higher Secondary and Degree students and also asan efficient teacher. With his command over the subject and great administrative skill, Dr. Chakraborty was very much successful in running me department smoothly. The Department of Physics under his leadership became one of the most prominent centres of excellence for Physics Education in West Bengal.
During eighties and nineties, the department was ably run by 13 to 15 full-time teachers and 14 laboratory staff. From nineties onwards, the number of teachers and laboratory staff dwindles down.
Presently we have 7 substantive teachers, 1 state aided teacher and 2 laboratory staff to run the department for both core and generic courses in Physics for honours and general students following the newly (in 2018) introduced choice based credit system (CBCS) in semester format. The department has a well-stocked seminar library which started with books donated by teachers and ex-students, well managed honours and general laboratories, Computer laboratory etc. Besides regular work, most of our faculty members are actively engaged in Research works and publishes research papers in renowned peer-reviewed international journals regularly
Most of the years, our department recorded almost 100% success rate in the final honours examination with quite a number of students securing first class in honours.Many of our recent alumni secured good ranks in IIT-JAM, and other post graduate entrance examination and got admission in renowned Universities, IITs, IISERs, NITs, etc. and others were admitted in post-B.Sc., B.Tech. Courses.It is a matter of great satisfaction that almost all of our students are getting their career according to their own sharpened ability and availability of a wide variety of choices.
The members of the teaching and non-teaching staff of the department are proud of carrying the banner of glorious tradition forwarded by maintaining the course unimpeded and hope that they will be able to hand over the banner to the next generation leaving behind as legacy an ideal atmosphere for teaching and learning in the department.
(Source: Article written by Late Prof. Nepal Chakraborty, formerly head of the department of Physics of this college, published in the Souvenir during Golden Jubilee of the college)